You’ve researched and written that killer blog post and now you want to promote it, but you aren’t sure exactly what to do. Fear not, it’s not as challenging as you may think to promote your blog post. The simplest way to promote killer content on your blog is by using social media. If you have a Facebook page or a Twitter account you can blast your blog post to all your friends, family, coworkers and anyone else you may be connected to.
And that’s great if all of those groups can relate to your post. The problem is most of the time they won’t, in fact they shouldn’t if you’re blogging properly*.
Let’s assume for the sake of this blog post (and its eventual promotion) that you’re writing for a specific niche. Let’s also assume you know who your target market is. If you don’t, you’ll want to wait to promote that post.
How to Promote a Blog Post
There are multiple ways to promote a blog post and most of them center around social media, which is what we’ll be talking about today. Using social media is inexpensive – free if you do all the work – and relatively easy. Most people today have a pretty good grasp of many social media platforms. Work in the ones you know and are active on first, when you feel more comfortable branch out to different mediums.
- Facebook – You’ll need a personal Facebook account to promote anything. Make sure your post has an image. If not, you can upload one for the update but it’s good practice to use images in all your posts. Facebook allows you to choose who sees your post so you can exclude people like your grandmother if you don’t want her commenting on the review you just wrote about Fantasy House (I speak from experience, you don’t want this to happen). You can set it for public viewing and then tick off the people you don’t want to see it. You can’t choose specific demographics, however. That’s reserved for professional pages, not the personal page. If you want to establish your brand you’ll want to create a professional Facebook page and promote your posts there as well as your personal page.
- Twitter – After you’ve written your article you can tweet the URL on Twitter. The nice thing about Twitter is that you can schedule multiple tweets of the same article or blog post to be promoted throughout the week. Try different times of the day to get an idea of when the optimal time to tweet is. Also consider changing the tweet so it doesn’t look like you’re spamming.
- Instagram – if you’ve got images then you’ll want to use Instagram. The great thing about Instagram is that you can post the Instagram posts to Facebook automatically.
- Pinterest – You can pin any images you’ve used in the post to Pinterest. Just remember to pin them from the post (so they carry the original URL back to your blog) and that you pin other peoples posts too.
- Bookmark Sites – Using sites like Reddit, Digg, StumbleUpon etc are a great way to get your content picked up and promoted.
- Commenting – Commenting on similar blogs is probably the best way to promote your content. Not only does it create a sense of community, but because other commenters must visit your site to comment back you’ll get that added traffic. Remember to respond to all comments.
Those are just some of the ways you can promote your blog post for free. Stay tuned to learn how you can promote your blog posts for cash too.